Middlebury Acting Company’s
American Dreaming: 2023 New Play Festival
Call for Submissions
Thank you for your interest in our festival! We have reached our limit of 100 submissions. If you are a Vermont-based playwright, you are welcome to submit up until the December 15th deadline by emailing your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: December 15th, 2022
About the Festival:
Through an open submission process, Middlebury Acting Company is looking for three new plays for our second American Dreaming New Play Festival. This festival aims to amplify three unproduced, unpublished plays that address the question: What does the American Dream mean today? The selected plays will each receive two rehearsals, dramaturgical feedback, and a culminating public staged reading followed by a carefully moderated talkback with the audience.
The goal of this festival is to assist the chosen playwrights in the development of their new plays, and to invite the Middlebury community into the new play development process. Plays of all genres and styles are welcome!
Selected playwrights will receive housing for three nights and a travel stipend of $150 to help defray the costs of getting to Middlebury.
The festival will take place over one weekend in August, 2023 in Middlebury, Vermont.
Submission Process & Requirements:
- Only the first 100 submissions will be considered, so early submissions are encouraged.
- We are looking for plays that address the question: What does the American Dream mean today? We are excited to see how you interpret that question, but please do note the theme when considering what to submit.
- Playwrights living anywhere in the U.S. are welcome to apply. If selected, we are able to offer a $150 travel stipend. Any additional travel costs are the responsibility of the playwright.
- Playwrights may submit only one play. No re-submissions of previously submitted plays.
- Only plays requiring 5 or fewer actors are eligible.
- Submissions must not have received a professional production or publication before August of 2023. Plays that have received previous workshops or readings are eligible.
- We are looking for full-length play submissions. No one-acts or musicals.
- Playwrights may submit up to 20 pages of one full-length play. You are welcome to submit any 20 pages from your play. If context is required for the sample you submit, you’re welcome to include a brief bit of context (no more than one page) at the beginning of the sample.
- We will select a small group of finalists by early March, 2023. If selected as a finalist, you will have one week within which to send us the full script of your play.
- There is no fee to submit.
- Playwright’s contact information
- A sample of up to 20 pages of your chosen play. Please include a character breakdown.
- A brief statement (200 words or less) on how your play fits into the theme of the festival
Ready to submit? Fill out our Google Form here!
Questions? Email the new play festival coordinator Gina Stevensen at email@example.com