Middlebury Acting Company's
2024 New Play Festival
Call for Submissions from Vermont Playwrights
Deadline: February 26
About the Festival:
Through an open submission process, Middlebury Acting Company is looking for three new plays for our third annual New Play Festival. This festival aims to amplify three unproduced, unpublished plays, and this year we're only accepting submissions from Vermont playwrights. The selected plays will each receive two rehearsals, dramaturgical feedback, and a culminating public staged reading followed by a moderated talkback with the audience.
The goal of this festival is to assist the chosen playwrights in the development of their new plays, and to invite the Middlebury community into the new play development process. Plays of all genres and styles are welcome!
Selected playwrights will receive a modest stipend.
The festival will take place from August 14-17, 2024 in Middlebury, Vermont.
Submission Process & Requirements:
- This opportunity is open to playwrights who currently reside in Vermont
- Playwrights may submit only one play. No re-submissions of previously submitted plays.
- Only plays requiring 5 or fewer actors are eligible.
- Submissions must not have received a professional production or publication before August of 2024. Plays that have received previous workshops or readings are eligible.
- We are looking for full-length play submissions. No one-acts or musicals.
- Playwrights may submit up to 20 pages of one full-length play. You are welcome to submit any 20 pages from your play. If context is required for the sample you submit, you’re welcome to include a brief bit of context (no more than one page) at the beginning of the sample.
- We will select a small group of finalists by late March, 2024. If selected as a finalist, you will have one week within which to send us the full script of your play.
- There is no fee to submit.
- Playwright’s contact information
- A sample of up to 20 pages of your chosen play. Please include a character breakdown.
- A brief statement (no more than 200 words) describing where the play is in its process, any previous development the play has received, and what element(s) of the script you're especially interested in exploring if selected to participate in the festival.
Ready to submit? Fill out our Google Form here!
Questions? Email the new play festival director Gina Stevensen at firstname.lastname@example.org